Before & After Care
Before Your Surgery
- The office temperature is kept between 67-70 degrees, so you may want to bring a sweater, jacket, or blanket.
- Bring whatever music you would like to listen to.
- You will be prescribed a pain reliever and a mouth rinse following surgery. If you are currently taking any medications, take as prescribed.
- You can eat whatever you would like before surgery, just make it a small meal.
- Be aware that for a few days following your procedure, a soft diet is suggested. Examples of soft foods are pastas, soup, baked potatoes, etc… Avoid chips, popcorn, spicy foods, and any other sharp foods.
- Slight bleeding will occur after your surgery. Remember to protect your sheets and pillow cases before going to bed as some bleeding will occur after surgery.
- It’s also a good idea to place some wet washcloths in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. These are great ice packs.
- Let us know of any changes in your medical history.
- MORE QUESTIONS? Your post-operative care and instructions will be reviewed by a staff member immediately following your surgery.
After Your Surgery
Apply ice pack to face on treated side for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off until bedtime. Sleep with your head slightly elevated with two pillows.
Moderate swelling and possible discoloration is to be expected for 2-5 days. Use hot, wet soaks after second day if there is no bleeding present.
Pain medication should be taken as directed, for discomfort. Should extensive discomfort persist, please call any time. As you become more comfortable, you may substitute extra strength Tylenol. Ibuprofen may be used in conjunction with pain medication alternating every two hours as needed for pain.
Do not drink alcohol for 48 hours after surgery.
Please do not smoke following surgery. Tobacco smoke is an irritant to healing tissue and restricts blood circulation for good healing. Refrain from smoking for as long as possible.
We ask that you refrain from any strenuous physical activity the day of the surgical procedure and we prefer that you have a ‘light day’ the first day after surgery. After the first post-surgical day, let good judgment be your guide.
Do not rinse after surgery. Avoid extremely hot food and drink for the next 24 hours.
Start using the PerioSciences Gel the DAY AFTER SURGERY, twice a day for two weeks. It is very important to use the gel to promote faster healing and to keep your teeth clean. After using the gel, please wait 30 minutes before eating or drinking.
Drink LARGE glasses of liquid. DO NOT drink through a straw. You must eat nutritious foods in order to heal properly. See that your diet has soft, high protein foods, such as eggs, baked fish, chicken, turkey, vegetable, fruits, and soup. AVOID hard, sharp, spicy, salty, fried, or very hot foods. Chew on the side opposite the treated area.
It is important to keep your mouth clean. Brush your teeth well, but do not brush the treated side. “Q-tips” have been provided for you. Dip the Q-tips in the mouth rinse prescribed and gently clean the gums and teeth that were treated today. A chlorhexidine mouth rinse will be prescribed. Please use as directed.
Some slight bleeding will be experienced for the first 24 hours. If bleeding occurs, do not rinse. Moisten a gauze pad or an unused tea bag with warm water. Place it over the area and hold firmly for 10 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
A slight fever or chills may occur. Do not worry, unless the fever persists for more than 24 hours. A persistent low-grade temperature or one above 102 degrees should be reported.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
Contact us immediately if:
- Excessive bleeding occurs
- Severe pain is present
- Marked swelling occurs
- You have a high-grade temperature